Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Moment of truth: Its exhausting

So I posted a photo on Facebook that shows how my shape has changed in the last 4 months of diet and training. I was astounded at the responses I have been receiving. But what I never want is for someone to see me, see my shape now, and think they can't do it.

Left: Me now.  Right: Me 4 months ago.
Change: New mindset, new diet, new trainer, new supplements that work.

Is it easy? No. As I sit here writing this, I have tons of sweat pouring down the crease on my back were my spine is from doing fasted morning cardio. Lets be honest... I almost talked myself out of doing the cardio.  I mean I have an extremely comfortable mattress, it was 64 degrees in my house and I was snuggled up in a very plush down comforter.

But then I thought of my hips... and the times I have cheated on my diet. And my trainer's goals for me, and how he literally pours his everything into each of us, his team of athletes. And then of course my daughter, who is extremely excited about my working out and likes to be active with me.  That's when I shoved the comfy covers aside and slipped on my tennis shoes and headed for the elliptical I'd purchased on craigslist.

The Drive

When I began, I was driven by those who said I couldn't do it. I'm determined and knew they were watching and I wanted to prove them wrong. But now, I've forgotten about them. Rather it is those who love and support me who have become my drive. When I do accomplish this goal, perhaps there is someone out there who will see that they can, too.  I'm a single mom to an elementary-aged child who claims to know everything.  I have a full-time job and all the responsibilities that come with those roles in life.  And this summer, I'll be returning to school to work on completing my degree.  And then there's dating, too.

So are there obstacles?  Yep.  Do I have more than enough reasonable excuses to give as to why I shouldn't live a healthy lifestyle?  Definitely.  Are these excuses valid?  Certainly.  Do I judge anyone else in a similar situation who isn't going for these goals?  Not at all.  I know the difficulties associated with the responsibilities of life and overcoming those challenges is super hard.  But perhaps those who watch me will be able to see that their reasons that are keeping them from reaching their health goals are actually the best supporting reasons to achieve them.


Again, it's not always easy.  In fact, it most always isn't.  You have to make choices daily to put your closer to your goal and they're not always fun choices to make.  So I'm making those choices daily... counting the weeks until I reach my goal.  6 and a half weeks and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment