Friday, May 16, 2014

Strong Women

Last night I didn't get to bed until after 11:00 pm.  That's not normal for me and as a mom to a school-aged child, that just cuts into my sleep time, leaving me tired the next day.

So this morning, I woke up late with exhaustion and peeked through my squinty eyes in search of my sneakers.  A million thoughts crossed my mind, all of them reasons not to go do my fasted morning cardio.  After all, I wasn't going to be able to get in the amount of time that my trainer has instructed me to get each morning, so why bother?

Then briefly, and rapidly, I remembered the me I use to be.

You see, I use to wear the most unflattering clothes, baseball hats and baggy shirts because I didn't like my shape.  My body wasn't what society blasts all over social media, printed ads nor billboards.  My hips had carried a child through full-term pregnancy and I felt as old and unattractive as you can imagine.

Somewhere in my head though, I still had this determination to be better.  I didn't care if my body never looked like that of a Victoria's Secret model, and I still don't.  All I wanted was to be comfortable with who I was; to be a better me for my daughter.

So about 4 years ago, I began my very slow and uneducated journey to the person I am today.

Am I done? Never.
Am I content? Yes.
Am I happy with my shape and health? Yes.
Can I be better? Always.

So this morning, I ignored all of those excuses of why I should keep my tail in bed, and I made the trek to the elliptical where I spent the next 26 minutes sweating.  I dreaded it, yes.  But I conquered my own lazy will.  Regardless of if that helped my fat loss or not, I made myself get up and do what I didn't want to do.  And that felt pretty much like a great accomplishment.

We all have been given the same 24 hours every day.  Each of us spends our time as we choose.  The path I'm on isn't for everybody.  But regardless of what you do, don't let that voice in your head tell you that you can't.  Because I'm here telling you that you can.  Go after your dreams... you won't regret it.


Here's to all of the beautiful women out there, regardless of your shape!  May you have a wonderful day and  a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment